Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Don't WoW Without Protection! Top Tips to Keep From Getting Hacked.

I have learned a few things in the years that I have been playing World of Warcraft. One of the first was to try not to get hacked.
Every day, hundreds of player accounts get hacked. Here is some ways to prevent it, some common sense, some less so:

1. Never give anyone your password! This, I think, is the most common sense one of them.

2. Don't believe everything you get emailed. I get several dozen phising emails a day trying to get my login from me. Most of them look completely legitimate. The best thing I have found to do to verify them is to hover your mouse over the link that they give, and at the bottom of the browser window, in the information bar, it tells the address that the link goes to. If it doesn't say worldofwarcraft.com, blizzard.com or battle.net, it's bull. I get them all the time that are things like wor1dofwarcrraaftt.com and crap like that. Always check these out before you click on them, since the login screen looks just like the official one.

3. Buy an Authenticator or download the iPhone one. They only cost a few bucks and are pretty near un-hackable. I see it as a great investment to pay $6.50 plus shipping rather than have your account hacked, lose all your hard earned stuff, and pray that a GM will be able to restore it for you.

4. Change your password regularly. I usually change mine once a month. I have a few uber-Imba players that change theirs weekly, just because they have clocked so many hours on so many toons that it would be a disaster to lose what they have.

Go Home!

0 comments:

Post a Comment